Random thoughts, like visions of sugared almonds, dancing in his head
TThe Chargers missed their game against the Chiefs in overtime… talk about stealing in LA… in the fourth down, you hit a basket or a punt. Well done for you.
• The Baltimore Ravens lost back-to-back games opting for two-point conversions instead of just leveling the game and going into overtime. It could cost them a playoff berth and a lot of doubt in the offseason. Pure stupidity.
• You will need a program for all new college football coaches next season. Plus, an attachment for all new players who have transferred. The transfer portal will destroy college sport.
• A University of Pennsylvania swimmer competed as a male for two years and now swims as a female and breaks Ivy League records. Is it fair to other women?
• Tom Brady was shut out by the Saints with a quarterback that no one knew. Major late-season injuries for Tampa Bay (WR Chris Godwin) and possibly more to come. I thought I was dreaming.
• I just saw Joel Embiid lose 41 points for the 76ers in Boston to the Celtics, who lost another lead.
• The Detroit Lions won an NFL game last weekend. Hey, have a heart, that’s great news!
• Here we go again… the NHL has COVID-19 issues and major problems… it is also hitting the NFL, the NBA and other sports… Will it affect March Madness? And the Olympic Games?
• Nevada over West Michigan Monday night, December 27… -7½ buys holiday dinner and drinks. Take Boston College to East Carolina (-3½) the same night. You need money !
• The Holiday Bowl takes place on Tuesday, December 28, with UCLA facing North Carolina State at Petco Park. The best boules game in the country, year after year, has a new home. America’s Finest City and New Place. Pretty cool.
• Please send a citation to SDSU to play games 100 miles from Carson. The new Aztecs stadium will open next season. Two years without local games is enough.
• Seeing Tiger Woods on the golf course with his son Charlie again is therapy for all dads and sons in the game of pure love. Never say never and miracles happen.
• SDSU bettor Matt Araiza of Rancho Bernardo is the winner of the Ray Guy award for top bettor in the NCAA. Won over 80 meters (twice).
• Don’t go to bed in Cincinnati vs. Alabama on New Years Eve plus 13½ points. The Bearcats can beat Bama. I still wonder how the tide has beaten Auburn and Georgia.
• Michigan vs Georgia… Georgia is the most complete team in the country. Throw their only loss to Alabama and see them bounce back big. Also on New Years Eve, the clock may have struck midnight for Cinderella Michigan.
• Two San Diego high school football teams won state championships. Cathedral and Scripps Ranch. Great kids, great coaches.
• How did LA Dodger Maury Wills not make it into the Baseball Hall of Fame, let alone Dick Allen, Curt Flood and several other deserving African American baseball players?
• The Army-Navy game is scheduled to be played in Philadelphia every year. Stop spinning it and make it a national holiday. Ratings skyrocketed for the Meadowlands game in East Rutherford, New Jersey. 10 million viewers… and an instant classic.
• Don’t look now… but new USC head coach Lincoln Riley is filling the closet. And he took to the road by running, recruiting or disengaging.
• NFL teams to go deep in the playoffs: Los Angeles Rams, Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers and Kansas City Chiefs.