KUWTT: “Load the executives in the sugar brothel” | September 9, 2022

Have a good day. Here are the Manila Times articles for Friday, September 9, 2022.

READ: “Load the frames in the sugar mess”

THE Senate Blue Ribbon Committee has recommended filing corruption charges against four agriculture officials involved in the thwarted attempt to import 300,000 metric tons of sugar. Blue Ribbon Chairman Sen. Francis Tolentino released the committee’s findings and recommendation on Thursday, two days after the group’s investigation was completed. Tolentino said 14 of the committee’s 17 members signed the committee’s 354 report, with one member, Senate Minority Leader Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel 3rd, dissenting. Pimentel said the minority bloc will file a separate report.

READ: No time to put on the masks yet – expert

Get the latest news


delivered to your inbox

Sign up for the Manila Times daily newsletters

By registering with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and accept the terms of use and the privacy policy.

An infectious disease expert has said the government should first focus on stepping up Covid booster shots before making the wearing of masks outdoors optional. The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) has recommended optional masking in uncrowded outdoor spaces. The health officer in charge, Maria Rosario Vergeire, said the task force decided to lift the mask mandate after considering arguments presented by the Marcos administration’s economic team on the possible effect of the mandate. on tourism. In a forum on Thursday, Dr Rontgene Solante said the government should increase booster coverage first before “tinkering with the protocol”. He said masking should be the “last health policy to be phased out” as the country enters the new normal. Solante told reporters it was important to reiterate that those at high risk of Covid-19 should continue to follow health protocols even when outdoors. He also said the lifting of mask mandates, especially during the “ber” months or the last quarter of the year, will make those who received their primary dose earlier this year and have not yet received a booster vulnerable to Covid-19.

READ: Marcos collects $14.3 billion in pledges during state visits

PRESIDENT Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. announced that he secured $14.36 billion or 804.78 billion pesos in investment pledges during his state visits to Indonesia and Singapore. Marcos, who returned home on Wednesday, described his visits as “fruitful and engaging”. The president said the Philippine government has signed several bilateral agreements with Singapore and Indonesia, which are expected to strengthen key sectors – defense and security, creative economy and culture. He said he also met with the business community to explain the administration’s economic policies and priorities, and to promote the country as an investment destination.

READ: PH accepts 10,000 orders for Singapore

The Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) has approved nearly 10,000 job offers in Singapore. This was announced by the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) Sec. Susan “Toots” Ople after President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s state visit to Singapore this week. The approved work orders refer to the immediate manpower needs given by Singaporean employers to POLO which are expected to be filled in the coming months. Approved orders submitted by Singaporean employers are for 5,000 aviation technicians, 3,000 healthcare workers, 1,000 skilled workers, 500 education workers and 300 IT workers. Ople said it anticipates an increase in demand for OFW in Singapore with the success of the President’s visit and the reforms undertaken by the DMW to promote ease of doing business strategies such as digitizing various recruitment processes. .

READ: Court summons witnesses to hearing

The Quezon City Regional Trial Court (QCRTC) has summoned a former broadcast journalist and two other parents to the ongoing hearing on the motion to stop the administration of the Covid-19 vaccine to children. QC-RTC Branch 222 Judge Maria Cherell of Castro-Sansaet subpoenaed Dominic Almelor, a former ABS-CBN reporter; Girlie Samonte of Tondo, Manila and Joel Corpuz of Cainta, Rizal to hear their arguments on why the Department of Health (DoH) should stop vaccinating minors against the deadly disease. Almelor, father of a seven-year-old boy; and Samonte, a mother of two, previously filed a motion for a temporary restraining order and a writ of preliminary injunction against the government’s jab campaign, claiming the Covid-19 vaccine was just an experimental drug .

READ: LTO suppresses NCAP alarms

THOUSANDS of alarms related to Non-Contact Apprehension Policy (NCAP) violations have been temporarily suppressed to allow registration of vehicles registered with traffic violations. This is in line with the letter sent by the Chief Assistant Secretary of the Land Transportation Office (LTO), Teofilo Guadiz 3rd, to Local Government Units (LGUs) implementing NCAP. The letter requested the temporary removal of the alarm captured by LGUs and tagged in the agency’s system.

BUSINESS: peso plunges further to P57.18 against USD

Leading the business, the Philippine peso is depreciating further to 57.18 pesos against the US dollar (USD) at the Philippine Dealing System, according to data from the Philippine Bankers Association released Thursday. According to the Philippine Bankers Association, trade in the peso opened at P57.07 against the dollar. The peso was trading in the P57.06 to P56.22 range, with an average of P57.149. The weighted average exchange rate was 57.14 pesos while the previous session reached 57.216 pesos. Thursday’s volume hit $1.151 billion, down from $1.2327 billion in the previous session. The local currency has also depreciated against the US dollar by 6.181 pesos, or 12.1%, since the start of 2022. The peso has again weakened against the US dollar for the sixth consecutive day, by 0.045 centavos or 0.1%, to hit a new high. close for the fifth consecutive trading day at P57.18 vs. P57.135 the previous day.

SPORTS: Creamline-PH begin Asean Grand Prix stint against Thailand

In sports, the Philippines women’s volleyball team under the Creamline Cool Smashers banner is set to begin its campaign at the first stop of the Asean Grand Prix today in Thailand. After placing sixth in the Women’s Asian Volleyball Confederation (AVC) Cup two weeks ago, the Philippines’ best finish in the tournament, the Cool Smashers take on Thailand at Chartchai Hall inside Chalerm Stadium. Phrakiat in Nakhon Ratchasima. Game time is 7 p.m. Ced Domingo, Jeanette Panaga and star setter Jia Morado, who played for the national team in the 2019 edition of the competition where the Philippines won a pair of bronze medals, are expected to lead the charge again for Creamline.

READ: Opinion and editorial

Rigoberto Tiglao and Van Ybiernas are the front-page columnists today. Tiglao believes the media empire controlled by an Indonesian tycoon must be shut down, while Ybiernas discusses sugar and the Lopez family saga.

Today’s editorial believes that the IATF’s revised mask-wearing policy should be flexible. Read a full version in the newspaper’s opinion section or listen to the voice of the times.

For more news and information, get a copy of The Manila Times on paper, subscribe to his digital edition or log on to www.manilatimes.net. follow us on Twitter, Facebook Where instagram and Track times.

For The Manila Times, it is Kim Isabelle Dignadice.

Rachel J. Bradford